Sep 12 9:13pm – Attended my first GriefShare grief support group this evening. I’ve been waiting to start this for several months. I was not disappointed. I think – though hard – that this will be just what I have been needing and wanting to find. People just like me and as raw as me.
– Fifteen weeks – through Thanksgiving and Christmas. We might even meet on those days. I like that. It’s recommended that participants sit through at least two 15-week sessions. No cost, by the way.
– Eight of us – six participants and two facilitators. I am the token male.
– Of the six, four recently lost their spouses (less than five months). The other two lost parents.
– The opening remarks and video tapped almost every button that I have had to deal with and am dealing with now. Compassionate and empathetic but hard-hitting. Very difficult – but good medicine, I think.
– It’s a safe place – a vault. What is discussed stays with the group.
– I have a workbook with homework. Good.
– While not necessarily a minority group, we are an elite group. Our lives are forever changed.
– I’m thankful and blessed for this opportunity. I hope I can work through my own struggles and begin to start giving back. This is a God-thing. I’m sure of it.